This Sausage and Cabbage recipe will get a quick, hearty meal on the table without much fuss! This dish is ready in about 15 minutes and comes in under 6 net carbs per serving!
Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
This low-carb, quick Cabbage and Sausage recipe will keep you full and satisfied with only 15 minutes of cooking time! It’s keto friendly and only uses 4 ingredients, too. Enjoy this inexpensive dish for under 6 net carbs per serving. If you love this cabbage recipe try this easy Cheesy Cabbage Casserole, or Beef and Cabbage Soup!
Sausage Skillet Ingredients
- Breakfast Sausage – Spicy or mild, whichever you prefer. If you only have unseasoned pork, try this easy low-carb breakfast sausage seasoning.
- Cabbage – Chopped to roughly bite-sized pieces. They will shrink some while cooking, so don’t go too small.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted. If using salted butter, taste before adding salt and pepper at the end.
- Seasoning – Garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste
How to make Sausage and Cabbage
This incredibly easy recipe has very few steps and is simple to cook. Here’s a step-by-step guide for cooking this delicious keto meal.
Brown the sausage
Grab a large skillet and warm to medium heat. Add your breakfast sausage and break it apart a little bit. For this recipe, I prefer larger bites with the cabbage, so I only crumble the sausage into meatball-sized pieces. You can break it up into smaller bites if you prefer, but it’s a little more difficult to eat that way.
When the sausage is cooked through, drain if needed and soak up some of the grease in the skillet with a paper towel.
Add chopped cabbage to the skillet and begin cooking. You may not be able to fit all of the cabbage at once–That’s okay! It will quickly cook down, allowing you to add more and more cabbage until it’s all in the skillet. Stir occasionally until the cabbage is tender.
Once the cabbage is tender enough for your taste, add your butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir or toss to coat, then you’re ready to serve.
If you’d like to stretch this meal further, trying adding Parmesan Eggs or Easy Baked Eggs! They add a ton of flavor as well as a good dose of protein that will keep the family full. Bacon Keto Biscuits give your meal a great texture, and you can wash it all down with a Keto Coffee Frappuccino.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days.
Cabbage is pretty hardy, so it can handle being frozen. If you’d like to freeze it, allow it to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. It should last about 6 months (but the earlier you eat it, the better the texture will be).
For the best texture, I like to reheat this cabbage and sausage skillet by adding it to a skillet that’s preheated to medium heat. Allow it to sit for 30-60 seconds, then stir frequently until warmed throughout. You can also microwave this, but the cabbage can feel a bit mushy afterwards.
If you like this Sausage and Cabbage Recipe, you’ll love these recipes:
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet – Full of crisp veggies and tender meat, this easy quick meal is super low-carb, too!
- One Pan Cabbage Casserole – Ground beef, cabbage, and a tomatoey sauce make the perfect healthy comfort food!
- Air Fryer Cabbage and Sausage – This recipe uses smoked sausage instead of breakfast sausage, and everything gets crisped up in the air fryer!
- Beef and Cabbage Soup – This soup is amazing the first, second, and third time you might eat it (if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers).
- Cajun Pork Chops with Fried Cabbage – This is perfect for a quick weeknight meal! Seared and seasoned pork chops add a ton of flavor to the tasty cabbage.
FAQs about Cabbage and Sausage recipes
Pork, beef, chicken, lamb… Cabbage is extremely versatile and can go with SO many different proteins! This same recipe would work with other meats as well — Just cook the meat, add the cabbage, and you’re good to go!
Yes, cabbage is low in net carbs and very healthy for you! It packs a great nutritional punch, will keep you full, and is an easy vegetable to sneak into many kinds of recipes like soups, skillet meals, and salads.
Sausage and Cabbage
This Sausage and Cabbage recipe will get a quick healthy meal on the table without much fuss. This dish is ready in about 15 minutes and comes in under 6 net carbs per serving!
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (spicy or mild)
- 5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet brown the sausage over medium heat. For this dish I like to cook the sausage similar in size to small meatballs, verses breaking it up completely.
- When the sausage is cooked through use a paper towel to remove some of the grease from the skillet.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the skillet (you may beed to do this in batches as it cooks down) and cook, stirring occasionally until tender.
- When the cabbage has reached your desired tenderness add the butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 21gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 8.2gNet Carbohydrates: 5.9gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 4.3gProtein: 18.5g