BBQ Cheddar Meatballs are an easy dinner or appetizer! These cheesy delights can be made keto-friendly and cooked in the oven or air fryer!
Today I am introducing you to our families new favorite dinner! These BBQ Cheddar Meatballs are loaded with flavor, can be made low carb and gluten free to accommodate just about anyone! You can also prepare these meatballs in an air-fryer, which is perfect for these hot summer months. Or an oven! Truly, this is a simple dinner your entire family will love.
Our family especially loves these BBQ Cheddar Meatballs served with these Healthy Carrot Fries. The flavor pairs together perfectly and it makes for a light dinner that is ready in a flash!
Ingredients for BBQ Meatballs
As always, you will find the complete recipe below, just keep scrolling.
- Ground Meat: you can use ground beef, turkey, chicken, or pork in this recipe.
- Ranch Seasoning: adds excellent flavor.
- Egg: this adds moisture and helps to hold the meatballs together.
- Breadcrumbs or Keto-Friendly Panko: you can use regular breadcrumbs, gluten free breadcrumbs, or Pork Rind Panko if keto.
- Cheese: cheddar cubes, or cheese sticks cut into cubes.
- BBQ Sauce: use a low carb brand if keeping keto.
How do you make Low Carb Meatballs?
These meatballs are so easy to make. Simply combine the meat, seasoning, egg and breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl. Chill the meatball mixture for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice the cheddar into 24 small cubes. Take a heaping spoonful of the meatball mixture and pat it out flat in your hand, place a cheese cube in the middle and fold the meatball around the cheese. Squeeze it a little bit so that you really get the cheese enclosed in the meatball, otherwise it will just ooze out when you cook them.
Bake or air fry the meatballs according to the directions below. Toss the cooked meatballs in the BBQ sauce of your choice and enjoy!
What should I serve with Stuffed Meatballs?
We love to have these meatballs with a large salad that consists of greens, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, cheese and homemade ranch dressing. The flavors pair perfectly! You can also serve these meatballs with some of our other favorites:
- 1 pound ground meat (beef, pork, turkey or chicken all work)
- 1 (1 ounce) packet Hidden Valley ranch seasoning
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (keto-friendly breadcrumbs linked below)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 24 small cheddar cheese cubes (3 cheese sticks cut into cubes)
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce (low carb if keto)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the meat, seasoning, breadcrumbs (keto option here) and egg together until it is completely combined.
- Working with about a spoonful of meatball mixture at a time pat it flat in your hand. Place a cheese cube inside and form a ball around the cheese.
- Squeeze the meatball a bit to make sure the cheese is totally enclosed.
- Lay evenly separated on the cookie sheet, bake 20- 25 minutes.
- Toss the cooked meatballs in the BBQ sauce of your choice.
Air Fryer Instructions:
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F for 3 minutes.
Add the meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer (this may require two batches depending on the size of your air fryer).
Cook the meatballs for 5 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 4 meatballs (nutrition calculated with keto ingredients)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 22gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 1.2gNet Carbohydrates: 1.2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0.1gProtein: 19.2g