This One-Pan Keto Pollo con Queso is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner! This low-carb kid-friendly keto recipe is ready in 20 minutes and is simple to meal prep!
We are big lovers of two things in this house: Mexican food and one-pan dinners. This recipe satisfies both of those! We often enjoy this One Pan Cheesy Fajita Chicken, but when we’re entertaining some *ahem* pickier family members, we need to simplify things a bit.
This dish is ready in 20 minutes and is as easy as can be. We chop the boneless, skinless chicken into small pieces so it cooks quickly, then we make the cheesy, delicious sauce in the same pan. Just one pan to clean and ready super fast makes it the perfect meal after a busy weeknight!
Pollo con Queso is super family friendly, and you can easily adjust the amount of spice based on your preferences. If you wanted to roast up some peppers on the side for the less-picky family members, it would be a great addition, too! For a great side dish, try this Slow Cooker Corn Dip!
What is Pollo con Queso?
Pollo con Queso is a popular Mexican dish that literally translates to “chicken with cheese.” Often it’s served with rice (“arroz con queso”), but to keep things keto, we’re sticking with tender chicken pieces and a delicious cheesy sauce! If you’d like to add rice but stay low carb, try adding this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice — It packs a huge punch of flavor, cooks quickly, and only adds about 4 net carbs per serving.
Chicken con Queso Ingredients:
This is just a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need. Keep scrolling to the printable recipe card for exact measurements!
- Chicken : I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could use thighs or tenders. These will be cut into bite-sized pieces to help the recipe cook quickly.
- Spices : Chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper
- Green chiles : I used mild, but you can use hot if you really love spicy food.
- Heavy cream
- Cheeses : Cream cheese, Pepper jack cheese, White American cheese
- Olive oil : for searing the chicken; you can use butter, ghee, coconut oil, or other cooking oil.
How to make Pollo con Queso
This is a very simple recipe — It’s perfect for beginner cooks because there aren’t a ton of steps! The finished result, though, is super satisfying.
Start by combining all of the spices in a small bowl, then set this aside. Heat a large skillet to medium heat, then add in your olive oil. Add the bite-sized chicken, sprinkle with spices, and toss to coat the chicken evenly. Brown the chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through, then remove from skillet and set aside.
Reduce the heat to low, then add the green chiles, cream cheese, and heavy cream. Stir to make a smooth sauce with few clumps. Add the shredded cheese in small increments (about 1/2 cup at a time), stirring continuously. Stir until all cheese is melted and incorporated into the sauce. If you like a thinner sauce, add additional heavy cream or milk until it’s the way you like it.
Finally, add the chicken to the skillet, stirring to cover each piece in the queso. Serve immediately!
What should I serve with Chicken con Queso?
You could serve this dish with a Keto Margarita (only 1.4 net carbs), this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice or your favorite low-carb tortillas (These Zucchini Keto Tortillas only add 1.2 net carbs and can be made in large batches then frozen for convenience). Feel free to garnish with avocado, diced tomatoes, and this Roasted Tomatillo & Jalapeno salsa if you love the spice!
If you are not keto, you could serve these with your favorite Mexican rice dish, black beans, and tortillas.
Can I make Chicken con Queso ahead of time?
Yes, this would be a simple meal to make ahead of time! You can cook the entire dish up to 3 days before serving, then reheat in a covered skillet. If reheating over the stove, make sure to stir often while reheating to prevent any parts from burning. You could also place the covered skillet in the oven at 350 degrees F and allow to warm up for about 10 minutes.
You could even serve this as a part of a dinner buffet! Transfer the cooked pollo con queso to a slow cooker and keep on ‘warm’ so that people can serve themselves. If you shred the chicken, you can even turn it into a dip!
How many carbs are in Pollo con Queso?
This one-pan keto dish has just 2.7 net carbs per serving! This super low-carb meal makes it easier to stick to your keto lifestyle, even if you want to add a low-carb tortilla, some garnishes, or some cauliflower rice.
More Keto Mexican Recipes:
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Carnitas with Keto Coleslaw
- Keto Chimichangas
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Margarita
Looking for more? Check out this list of 40+ Keto Mexican Food Recipes!
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1/4 cup heavy cream + more for thinning if needed.
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup white American Cheese
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
- Add the cubed chicken to the hot skillet and sprinkle with the spices. Toss to coat the chicken evenly on all sides. Brown the chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the green chiles, cream cheese, heavy cream, add the shredded cheese in small increments (about 1/2 cup at a time). Continuously stir the queso as the cheese melts until all the cheese has been used. Add additional heavy cream or milk until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and toss in the queso. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup chicken with cheese sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 13.1gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 890mgCarbohydrates: 3.2gNet Carbohydrates: 2.8gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 2gProtein: 41g