This easy Chorizo Queso Skillet is loaded with vegetables, meat, and cheese! This dish requires just one pan and is ready in less than 20 minutes!
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a Spanish style of pork that is strongly seasoned with smoked paprika, garlic, and other bold flavors. It is loaded with flavor and pairs perfectly with creamy queso! I personally do not consider it overly spicy, I find it has more of a smokey flavor, but it will depend on the brand you purchase. My family really enjoys making sausage balls using chorizo for a fun change of pace. If you do not want to use chorizo regular sausage will work fine.
Ingredients for Chorizo Queso
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling.
- Vegetables: peppers, onions, jalapenos
- Chorizo: regular ground sausage will also work if you prefer.
- Canned Tomatoes: specifically canned tomatoes with green onions, also known as Rotel to some.
- Cream Cheese: full or reduced fat cream cheese will work in this recipe.
- Shredded Cheese: I used shredded sharp cheddar, but white cheddar, American, Colby-Jack or Pepper-Jack will also work.
- Heavy Cream: this provides an authentic ultra creamy texture to the queso.
How to Make Chorizo Queso
This is a major crowd-pleaser, but is actually super easy to make! You need to follow a few basic steps to make this perfect cheesy dish! Below you will find the complete step-by-step guide to making the perfect queso!
Brown the Chorizo
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the chorizo, breaking it up as you go. When the meat is cooked through drain off any grease and remove the meat from the pan. Set the chorizo aside while you complete the next steps.
Sauté the Vegetables
Add the chopped onions, bell peppers jalapeños, and garlic to the same skillet. Sauté over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the peppers are tender.
Add Remaining Ingredients
In the same skillet add the heavy cream, cream cheese, undrained can of tomatoes, and shredded cheddar. Stir the mixture as it melts and if the heat seems a bit too high cut it down to medium-low. Allow the cheese to melt nice and slow so the texture is perfectly smooth.
The final step is to add the chorizo back to the skillet and stir to coat. Allow the queso about 5 minutes over low heat to warm the chorizo back up. When ready to serve top with all of your favorite fixings such as shredded cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, and green onions!
If you are wondering what to serve with queso I think a better question is what not to serve with queso?! It goes with everything! You can enjoy this cheesy dish as an appetizer with chips, potato wedges, or pork rinds if keto.
This is also super amazing when spooned over a baked potato or zucchini noodles! This queso really goes with anything! Since this queso is packed with meat and vegetables it is truly a hearty enough dish to enjoy as a main meal! Just in case you need a few more ideas try these:
- Regular tortilla chips and Keto-friendly chips are a no brainer.
- Spoon over this air fryer broccoli or air fryer zucchini for an insanely delicious meal!
- Regular tortillas or these easy Zucchini Tortillas work really well.
- Your favorite Mexican rice, or this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice.
Store any uneaten queso in an airtight container. Queso will last up to 5 days in the fridge. Just remember, allow the dish to cool completely before closing the container. Allowing condensation to build up in the storage container will add extra water to the cheese when you rewarm it.
Place in a preheated oven to 325 degrees and bake 20 minutes until warm. Alternatively, you can spoon out individual portions and warm in 30-second increments, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
I do not recommend freezing queso. This is a dish best served fresh!
Tools for this Recipe
Queso Dip Tips
- Spice: Chorizo adds excellent flavor to this dip! If chorizo isn’t your thing use regular sausage.
- Temperature: Remember, when cooking with dairy it is easy to overcook or cook at a temperature that compromises the dish. Melt the cheese at a nice low and slow temperature, I suggest medium low.
- Cheese: To mix things up use a variety of different shredded cheeses for an excellent complex flavor profile.
Other Queso Recipes
Can’t get enough queso? Me either. These recipes are some of my reader favorites because they are easy and delicious!
- Pollo con Queso: What is better than chicken covered in cheese sauce? When you can make it in one pan and in just 20 minutes! Say hello to your new favorite dinner!
- Shrimp con Queso: Basically everything you love about shrimp fajitas but smothered in a creamy queso sauce!
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts with Queso: this is THE appetizer that everyone asks me to bring. It is such an unexpected flavor combo that all my friends rave over it. Give it a shot, you won’t regret it!
- Smoked Queso: yes really, queso for the grill!
- 1 pound ground chorizo
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or a mix of cheddar and American)
- In a large skillet brown the chorizo over medium heat, breaking it up as you go. Drain off the grease and set the meat aside.
- In the same skillet saute the onion, peppers, and garlic over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the peppers are tender.
- In the same skillet add the heavy cream, cream cheese, undrained can of tomatoes, and shredded cheddar. Stir the mixture as it melts and if the heat seems a bit too high cut it down to medium-low. Allow the cheese to melt nice and slow so the texture is perfectly smooth.
- Add the chorizo back to the skillet and stir to coat. Allow the queso about 5 minutes over low heat to warm the chorizo back up.
- When ready to serve top with all of your favorite fixings such as shredded cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, and green onions!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: About 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 23gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 3.7gNet Carbohydrates: 3.3gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 1gProtein: 13g