This hearty Chorizo Breakfast Scramble is the ultimate low carb, keto-friendly breakfast! Each generous serving has just 5 net carbs and is loaded with spicy chorizo, peppers, onions, eggs and cheese!
What is a Breakfast Scramble?
A breakfast scramble is an easy breakfast recipe that usually features meat, cheese, eggs and vegetables all in one pan! The great thing about this kind of dish is that it comes together very quickly, requires minimal prep and is naturally low carb!
Once you get the hang of the method you can easily customize this based on your personal preferences. Switch up the meat for other varieties such as sausage, ham or bacon. Or go for an all veggie dish with mushrooms, zucchini and spinach! The possibilities are endless.
Ingredients for Breakfast Scramble
- Ground Chorizo: you can substitute ground breakfast sausage if you prefer.
- Vegetables: Onions (white or red), Bell Pepper, Green Onions, Tomatoes and Avocado
- Dairy: Eggs, Heavy Cream, and Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Optional ingredients that you can add to taste include hot sauce, salt and pepper.
How do you make a Breakfast Scramble?
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground chorizo, breaking it up as you go. When the chorizo has been cooked through, drain any grease. Add the chopped onion and bell pepper and sauté 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the skillet and set aside. In a large bowl combine the eggs, heavy cream, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Whisk until the eggs are light and fluffy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Add the eggs and scramble to your liking.
- Lastly, stir in the cooked meat and vegetables. Top with shredded cheese, green onions, tomatoes and avocado.
Tips for the Best Breakfast Scramble
- Use a large skillet, such as a 10 inch cast iron skillet that has been greased well. If you choose a smaller skillet, it will be quite crowded.
- Chop the bell peppers and onions small to be sure you get a bit in every bite! This also helps it cook quicker.
- Whisk the eggs very well to ensure they will be light and fluffy!
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I actually prefer to add salt and pepper when I whisk the eggs and again at the end if needed.
- Don’t forget to garnish! Serve this meal with hot sauce, sour cream, salsa and guacamole for an amazing and filling meal!
- This makes a great breakfast for dinner recipe! To make this even more filling you can use a low carb wrap for a keto-friendly breakfast burrito. If you’re keto and gluten-free, these Keto Zucchini Tortillas work, too!
Can I meal prep eggs?
Yes, you can easily meal prep scrambled eggs. There are just a few tips that make this delicious:
- Season your eggs before cooking (while whisking), but don’t season again until you’re eating. In other words, don’t season your cooked eggs and then store in the fridge. This can lead to the eggs losing moisture.
- Don’t cook the eggs completely. Instead, cook them about 90%–This allows the eggs to finish cooking when you reheat them, preventing them from becoming dry.
- Allow the eggs to cool completely before closing in containers and storing them in the fridge. This keeps them moist without making them soggy.
To meal prep this dish, you could sauté your meat and vegetables, cook your eggs (to 90%), then allow to cool completely. Store these together or separately (your choice–I haven’t been able to tell a difference in results), either all together or in individual portions (great for lunch). To reheat, toss back into a skillet for 1-2 minutes or microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through.
I would not add cheese, tomato, avocado, or other garnishes until ready to serve. You could store these in a separate container, then add after reheating. Of course, the avocado browns over time, so it’s best to slice and add that fresh.
Other Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Bacon Cheddar Chaffles (cheese waffles)
- Air Fryer Sausage
- Spinach Bacon Egg Muffins
- Easy Keto Breakfast Sandwiches (using homemade keto bagels)
- Keto Chocolate Chip Muffins
Want more? Here are 40+ Keto Breakfast Recipes Under 5 Net Carbs you can enjoy!
- 1 pound ground Chorizo (such as Johnsonville Chorizo)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red or white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (if desired)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 avocado
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground chorizo, breaking it up as you go. When the chorizo has been cooked through, drain any grease.
- Add the chopped onion and bell pepper and sauté 3-4 minutes until soft.Remove the meat and vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, heavy cream, hot sauce (if using), salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until the eggs are light and fluffy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Add the eggs and soft scramble until just set. Stir in half of the cheese, the chorizo and sautéd peppers and onions.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese, green onions, tomatoes and avocado.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cups scramble with toppings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 46gCholesterol: 338mgSodium: 1158mgCarbohydrates: 7.2gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2.2gSugar: 2.1gProtein: 31.9g