These Instant Pot Tacos are packed with tender shredded beef and topped with a creamy, spicy coleslaw. If using a low-carb tortilla, you can enjoy 2 tacos with slaw for about 5 net carbs!
Not long ago, I posted my Pollo Con Queso recipe, and readers went wild for them! Since it became so popular, I thought I should probably share another low-carb Mexican favorite in our house: Instant Pot Tacos with Spicy Coleslaw.
These shredded beef tacos can be made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, making them super convenient whether we want them to cook all day while we work or if we want to cook them once we get home. The beef is so tender and shreds so easily, it would be perfect in taco salads, enchiladas, taquitos, burritos, or any other way you’d like to use it!
I love to top these tacos with a simple spicy slaw, too. You can easily tone it down for people sensitive to spice or add an extra jalapeno if you love spice! The light, creamy slaw is the perfect companion for the hearty shredded beef for a well-balanced, delicious keto-friendly meal! Add a Keto Margarita, and you have a great night!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef Tacos
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need. As always, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card for exact measurements.
For the Shredded Beef:
- Beef: I used beef chuck roast, but you could also use brisket, round, or rump roast.
- Seasonings: I used chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. In a pinch, you could use a taco seasoning packet, but the fresher the spices, the better the taste.
- Veggies: Onion, garlic, jalapenos
- Olive oil or butter
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
Other taco ingredients:
- Tortillas: You can pick based on your preference or needs. Low-carb, gluten-free, corn, flour, whatever you like.
- Spicy Coleslaw: Cabbage slaw mix, cilantro, jalapeño, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Cheese (shredded Mexican blend, crumbled queso fresco or cotija, etc.), sour cream, avocado, chopped tomatoes
Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
- Cabbage slaw mix, cilantro, and jalapeño
- Mayonnaise, ranch dressing and lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
To make this spicy keto coleslaw, just stir all of the ingredients together and chill until ready to serve. It really is that simple! If you like things spicy, add an extra jalapeno. As written, this is just slightly spicy.
How to make Shredded Beef Tacos in the Instant Pot
In a small bowl, mix all the seasonings together and rub all over the piece of beef. In another bowl, mix up the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Turn the sauté function on and add 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter to the Instant Pot. Place the spice-rubbed beef in the pot and sear on each side until browned.
Turn off the sauté function and add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Add in the beef broth mix, then seal the pressure cooker and cook 15 minutes per pound (E.g. A 2.5 pound roast would cook about 37 minutes). At the end of the cooking cycle, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Once finished, remove vegetables, shred beef, and serve on tortillas for tacos! Top with the spicy coleslaw. If you prefer, you can add cheese, avocado, chopped tomatoes, and fresh herbs.
Can I make Shredded Beef Tacos in the slow cooker?
Yes, this recipe can easily be made in the slow cooker. Rub the beef with the spice mix and, if possible, sear all sides in a skillet on the stove. Then place the beef roast in the slow cooker with the onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Pour in the broth mixture, being careful to not pour directly on top of the beef… You don’t want it to wash away the spices.
Cook on low 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove vegetables and shred beef before serving. If you don’t have time to sear the beef before putting it into the slow cooker, it’s okay… It just adds a ton of flavor and a great texture!
Can you make Instant Pot Shredded Beef Tacos ahead of time
You can easily make the shredded beef up to 4 days ahead of time. If storing leftovers or to enjoy later, spoon some of the liquid over the beef to help it retain moisture and flavor. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge (up to 4 days) or in the freezer (up to 6 months).
To reheat, simply thaw and microwave (if small amounts) or transfer to a Dutch oven (if a large amount). Include the added liquid if possible, or add 1-2 tablespoons of water as the meat warms up in the oven. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom layer doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom.
Alternatively, you could place the shredded beef in a slow cooker on low and allow it to warm slowly… This works great if serving as a part of a buffet or taco bar!
What to serve with Instant Pot Tacos
If you are keto or watching your carbs, you could serve these with store-bought low-carb tortillas. If you’re gluten-free as well, try these Zucchini Keto Tortillas. They’re easy to meal prep and freeze for later, too. A serving of this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice only adds about 4 net carbs, making it a great, keto-friendly, flavor-packed substitute for Mexican rice!
Serve a Keto Margarita and some chips (cut and toasted low-carb tortillas if low-carb) with Roasted Tomatillo and Jalapeno Salsa and Avocado Bacon Dip as a side or appetizer before the tacos. If you aren’t low-carb or keto, try adding this Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Dip instead!
More Keto Mexican Recipes
- Easy Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Instant Pot Carnitas with Keto Slaw
- Keto Chimichangas
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Looking for more? Check out this list of 40+ Keto Mexican Food Recipes!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2.5 pounds chuck roast
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeños, cut in half and seeds removed
- 12 tortillas (I used Mission Carb Balance)
- Combine the spices to make a rub. Rub the spices on each side of the beef.
- Turn the sauté function on. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter to the Instant Pot. Place the spice rubbed beef in the pot and sear on each side until browned.
- Turn the sauté function off. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño. Lastly, add the beef broth mixture.
- Seal the pressure cooker and cook 15 minutes per pound. Once the pressure cooking cycle has ended allow the machine to naturally release 10 minutes.
- Shred the beef and discard the garlic, onion and jalalpenos. Drizzle the beef with the remaining sauce if desired.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Taco Instructions
Rub beef with spice rub and sear all sides in a skillet on the stove.* Transfer to slow cooker, then add onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Pour in broth mixture and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
*Searing step is optional, but it adds a lot of flavor and a good texture.
Nutrition values without tortillas: CALORIES: 263TOTAL FAT: 10.9gCHOLESTEROL: 139mgSODIUM: 742mgCARBOHYDRATES: 2gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 1.7gFIBER: 0.3gSUGAR: 1.1gPROTEIN: 39g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 tacos (using Mission Carb Balance Street Tacos)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 13.5gCholesterol: 124.7mgSodium: 1065mgCarbohydrates: 22gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: 17.3gSugar: 1.1gProtein: 44g
- 3 cups cabbage slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix until cabbage is well coated. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: About 1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 2.8gCholesterol: 1.5mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 1.8gNet Carbohydrates: 1.1gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 1gProtein: 0.4g