This Taco Tortilla Hack is a delicious way to enjoy a classic taco, but on the go! This recipe is perfect for quick lunches or fun dinners and is kid-friendly!
Taco Tortilla Hack
Tacos are one of my favorite foods, and for good reason! This Taco Tortilla Hack makes it easy to enjoy a classic taco, but in a divided tortilla so you get that signature taco flavor in every bite! Ground beef is combined with sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado and shredded cheese, all in your favorite type of tortilla!
While this may sound like a regular, run of the mill taco, there’s a big difference- I made this a Taco Tortilla Hack, so that means the tortilla is sliced into four quadrants. Each section contains a layer of your ingredients, and then you fold the tortilla on itself so that each layer is overlapping. That is what makes this meal easy to take with you on the go- your taco filling won’t be falling out everywhere! Is there a better way to enjoy a taco, than well, everywhere?! I don’t think so!
Ingredients in Taco Tortilla
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Taco Tortilla Hack. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Tortilla- you can use low carb, gluten free, flavored- whatever you prefer
- Taco meat- ground beef, turkey or chicken will all work well here
- Shredded cheese, sour cream
- Chopped lettuce, tomato and sliced avocado
How to Cook Ground Beef for Tacos
When you’re preparing ground meat for tacos, you traditionally use a taco seasoning packet or a homemade taco seasoning. To make seasoned taco meat, you first need to thoroughly cook your ground meat and drain, if necessary. Add your taco seasoning and 2/3- 1 cup of water, depending on how dry the meat is. Stir well and allow your meat to cook for about 5 minutes, or until most of the water has been absorbed.
What is the TikTok Tortilla Hack?
The “Tortilla Hack” that has gone viral on TikTok is really just a super smart way to fill your tortilla with all of your favorite toppings, but you do so in a way that you get each of the flavors in every bite! The first step is laying out your tortilla flat- you then make a slice halfway up the tortilla on the bottom half. You’ll add your ingredients to the four sections of the tortilla and layer them one over the other. You can enjoy as is, but I like to put mine in a skillet or panini press to make the outside of the tortilla crispy.
How do I make these ground beef tacos?
This Taco Tortilla Hack is ready in just 3 simple steps!
- Lay out your tortilla and make a cut half way up the tortilla along the bottom half.
- Add your ingredients to the four sections of the tortilla. I did the ground beef in one area, lettuce and tomato in another, cheese in the third section and sour cream and avocado in the last area.
- Fold the sections one over the other and warm in a greased skillet or panini press until the outside of the tortilla is a nice golden brown.
Tips for the BEST Taco Tortilla
- Use your favorite meat! Shredded Beef, Slow Cooker Chicken or Blackened Chicken would all be delicious here
- Make a taco bar for the family and have everyone pick their favorite ingredients to add to their tortilla! This is a fun way to get everyone involved in dinner!
- Add some Tomatillo Salsa for some extra flavor but without a lot of heat. If you prefer something spicier, use your favorite hot sauce!
What should I serve with this Taco Tortilla Hack?
I love dips, and I feel like this tortilla hack is perfect for them! Try Jalapeno Ranch, Bean Dip, Corn Dip or this delicious Avocado Bacon Dip for some great options. This Homemade Pineapple Salsa is always a huge hit on taco night! If you’re keto, try this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice for a lot of flavor without the carbs! For dessert, enjoy Keto Cinnamon Twists!
More easy dinner recipes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Bites
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- BBQ Chicken and Smoked Sausage Skillet
- Instant Pot Italian Pork
- 1 tortilla (can be low carb, gluten-free, or flavored)
- 1/4 cup taco meat (beef, turkey, or chicken will work)
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped lettuce
- 1 tablespoon chopped tomato
- 3 slices avocado
- Lay out a tortilla flat. In the middle of the tortilla along the bottom half, make a cut half way up the tortilla.
- Put your ingredients into the four quadrants of the tortilla. For this recipe I put the cooked ground beef in one section, lettuce and tomato in another, shredded cheese in another, and sour cream and avocado in the final section.
- Start with one section and fold them one over the other.
- Place the stacked tortilla in a greased skillet or panini press until golden brown.
Nutrition values calculated using Mission Carb Balance tortilla, ground beef, and shredded cheddar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 14gCholesterol: 43.6mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 22.6gNet Carbohydrates: 5.9gFiber: 16.7gSugar: 0.4gProtein: 18.9g