This Kale Salad with Cranberries is packed with pecans and blueberries and is topped off with a homemade Apple Cider Vinaigrette!
Kale Salad with Cranberries
This Kale Salad with Cranberries is going to be your new go-to salad! Tender kale is tossed with sweet cranberries, fresh blueberries and buttered pecans then combined with a homemade apple cider vinaigrette! The dressing adds a tangy flavor that perfectly compliments the sweetness of the blueberries and cranberries. The pecans and kale add the perfect amount of crunch to make a truly delicious mix!
You can make this Kale Salad ahead of time and enjoy it throughout the week! This salad stores very well, as well as the vinaigrette. This meal is vegetarian, and full of nutritious leafy greens. This is the perfect side salad, appetizer or light lunch!
Kale Salad Ingredients
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Kale Salad. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette: Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey (or this if keto), dijon mustard, and garlic
Kale Salad Ingredients: Butter, chopped pecans, kale, stems removed, dried cranberries, fresh blueberries
How to Toast Pecans
To make your toasted pecans, melt your butter and add the pecans. Stir and add salt. Cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Homemade Apple Cider Vinaigrette
This Apple Cider Vinaigrette is so easy to make and you will absolutely love it! All you need to do to make it is combine all of the ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Add salt, pepper or additional honey until your dressing is to your personal tastes. To make this recipe low carb and keto friendly swap the honey for this keto-friendly maple syrup.
How do I make this Blueberry Salad?
When you’re ready to prepare your salad, combine the kale with 1/3 of the dressing. Mix the dressing into the kale by hand- this tenderizes the greens. Add the cranberries, blueberries, pecans and any additional dressing you may like. Toss to coat and enjoy!
Tips for the best Kale Salad
- The key to a great kale salad is to massage the kale! If you have ever tried a kale salad, but it was tough and bitter it is because the kale was not properly prepared. You must wash and destem the kale, then drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil, or salad dressing and massage with your hands. The greens will turn a darker, richer color and they will soften. Do this for 3-4 minutes and you will have the perfect kale salad!
- You can use any extra dressing as a marinade or store for any other salads you make!
- If you’re watching your sugar intake, you can get dried cranberries with no sugar added.
- To make this a complete recipe, add some protein! Try adding chickpeas, chicken or beans!
How do you meal prep salad?
You can make this salad a few days in advance and enjoy throughout the week. If you store the greens with the dressing, I would enjoy within 2-3 days. The dressing helps to make the kale even more tender.
If you are storing the dressing and the salad separately, the salad will stay fresh for up to five days. The dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Healthy Salad Recipes
- Simple Arugula Salad with Parmesan
- Healthy Chickpea Salad
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Crunchy Thai Chicken Salad
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (or sugar free maple syrup if keto)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Kale Salad with Cranberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 cups torn kale, stems removed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (sugar free if keto)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Salt to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients for the Apple Cider Vinaigrette in a jar, secure the lid and shake vigorously. Taste the dressing and adjust the sweetener, salt and pepper to your preferences. Set dressing aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the pecans and stir to coat. Lightly salt the pecans. Allow the nuts to toast over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To make the salad, combine the kale with about 1/3 of the dressing and use your hands to massage the dressing onto the leaves. This helps to tenderize the kale, resulting in a more tender, delicious salad.
- Add the cranberries, blueberries, toasted pecans and toss to coat.
- To make keto-friendly use this in place of honey, and unsweetened cranberries.
- This recipe makes more dressing than I usually use for the salad, the leftovers are excellent as a marinade or any other salad.
- I love to use Lacinato kale (also called Dinosaur kale) but this works with more common curly kale as well.
- This salad stores very well. Leftovers can be eaten 2-3 days after it is prepared. Over time the kale becomes even more tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 26gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 7.6gNet Carbohydrates: 4.6gFiber: 3gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 4g