These delicious Turtle Brownies are perfectly fudgy and decadent. Gluten free brownies are covered with caramel, chocolate ganache, and roasted pecans for an amazing homemade dessert!
I have always LOVED turtle desserts! The original candies (named because they look like little turtles) were little pecan halves topped with caramel and dipped in chocolate. This salty-sweet combination was amazing on its own, but that hasn’t stopped people from adding it to other desserts!
I like turtle cream pie, but I was craving a fudgy brownie, too. So why not combine the best flavors?! I baked a gluten-free, low-carb brownie, smothered it in caramel sauce, chocolate ganache, and roasted salted pecans for an amazing party-worthy dessert! I brought these to a barbecue, where I served up a few other options from these 30+ Low Carb Cookout Recipes!
How to Make Low Carb Brownies
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix your butter and sweetener with an electric mixer until completely combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the oil and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together.
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture while the mixer is slowly turning. Using an 8×8 pan (this is very important- do not use a 9×9 pan. Your brownies will be too thin and overcooked) that is lined with parchment paper, spread your brownie mixture in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the brownies are set.
How to make Keto Caramel
This is the recipe I use for perfect keto caramel sauce! It includes just a few basic ingredients, butter, sweetener, heavy cream and vanilla. I know caramel might seem intimidating, but this sauce is very easy and turns out perfectly every time. Make this component ahead of time so assembling the brownies goes smoothly. For more great ways to use this keto caramel, check out Everything You Need to Know about Keto Caramel Sauce!
How to make Ganache
Ganache is a decadent chocolate topping that can be used as a glaze, frosting or filling for any sweet treat. It combines equal parts heavy cream and good quality chocolate. To make this low carb we use these semi sweet sugar free chocolate chips.
Tips for the Best Turtle Brownies
- It’s best to make the caramel ahead of time–This allows it to cool and thicken up.
- When poking the brownies, you want larger holes (like with the end of a wooden spoon or a straw… Not a toothpick). This allows more of the caramel and ganache to make it into the brownies.
- When pouring the caramel, you want the brownies to be hot! This helps it spread more easily.
- When pouring the ganache, you want the brownies to be cool. This helps keep the ganache smooth and luscious instead of thinning out like syrup.
- You have to use an 8×8 pan. Larger pans will result in thin, overcooked brownies.
Keto Brownie Recipes
- Brownie Pie – Perfect for a party, top with low-carb ice cream or whipped cream!
- Air Fryer Brownie – A single serving, just under 5 net carbs, ready in just 10 minutes
- Salted Caramel Stuffed Keto Brownies – Made easily with Lily’s salted caramel chocolates!
- Almond Butter Brownies – Fudgy, low carb, and easy to meal prep!
- Keto Brownies with Frosting – Topped with a delicious raspberry frosting, just 4 net carbs each!
Low Carb Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granular monkfruit sweetener
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 recipe Keto Caramel Sauce (linked below)
- 1 cup Lily's dark chocolate chips, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup roasted, salted pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl beat the cold butter and the granular monkfruit sweetener with an electric mixer. Cream the butter and sugar substitute at medium speed until it is completely combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
- Next, add the oil and vanilla extract.
In another small bowl mix the almond flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together.
- While the electric mixer is running slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Add until all the ingredients are combined.
- Line an 8x8 baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the brownie batter into the pan. Bake 25-30 minutes until the brownies have set. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Poke holes into the warm brownies. Pour 3/4 of the keto caramel sauce over the brownies. Place the brownies in the fridge to cool while you prepare the ganache.
- To make the ganache place the finely chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl, set aside. In a sauce pan bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Carefully pour over the chocolate and let the chocolate sit 1 minute to soften. Stir the chocolate until smooth. Allow it to cool a few minutes and carefully pour over the cooled brownies.
- Top with the roasted pecans. Cool brownies at least 2 hours before slicing. Drizzle the remaining caramel over the brownies when ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 25.8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 7.3gNet Carbohydrates: 4.1gFiber: 3.2gSugar: 1.5gProtein: 4.9g