This easy Cajun Sausage Cauliflower Rice is a one pan dish packed with vegetables that is ready in less than 20 minutes!
In college we lived off of boxed rice mixes. Those little gems required a protein, cup of water and 15 minutes of patience and you had a hearty, inexpensive dinner. This recipe ticks most of the same boxes, it is quick, easy, and inexpensive. Instead of traditional rice we swap it for frozen cauliflower rice. That makes this dish sneakily healthy for even your pickiest eaters!
Ingredients for Cajun Sausage Cauliflower Rice
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you need for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. For this easy smoked sausage recipe you will need:
- Sausage: your favorite variety of smoked sausage, andouille, or kielbasa will work.
- Spices: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Vegetables: onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice: you can use fresh or freshly made cauliflower rice if you prefer. You will need 10 ounces.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a large pan. I would recommend using a larger pan than you think you will need. The key to really good cauliflower rice is to cook all of the moisture out of the dish. This is easier and faster if you have a large pan.
Brown the Sausage
Heat a large skillet to medium heat. If needed, spray the pan with cooking oil and add the sliced smoked sausage to the skillet. Cook the sausage about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. When all the sausage has cooked through remove it from the skillet and set aside.
Sauté the Vegetables
In the same skillet add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté the vegetables, stirring occasionally over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Add Cauliflower Rice and Spices
Reduce the heat to medium low. Take the frozen bag of cauliflower rice and tap it several times on your countertop to help break apart any large clumps. Add the frozen cauliflower rice and the spices to the pan. Stir the cauliflower rice occasionally and cook for 7-8 minutes until there is no more steam emitting from the pan.
Add the Sausage
Lastly, add the sausage back to the pan and stir well. The dish is ready when there is no moisture left in the skillet and the sausage has warmed through.
This is a complete meal since it contains loads of vegetables and protein. I like to serve with chopped green onions and a dash of Worcestershire sauce for a little zing. If you want to serve this easy dinner with something else these are some great options:
- A great drink with this is a Mint Julep — The sweetness balances the spicier flavors in the cauliflower rice.
- This Sweet Potato Cornbread pairs perfectly with the Cajun flavors in this dish.
If you like this Cauliflower Rice, check out these recipes:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice – Absolutely full of flavor and ready in just 20 minutes! 6 net carbs per serving.
- Cauliflower Risotto – Rich, creamy, and no heavy cream needed. 4.3 net carbs in each cup.
- Cauliflower Fried Rice – It’s the perfect side to complete that at-home copycat takeout meal! 5.1 net carbs per cup.
- Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Tots – Kid friendly and perfect side dish or movie night snack! Just 6.1 net carbs per serving.
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole – Includes cauliflower rice for a keto meal that goes a very long way!
- 10+ Keto Cauliflower Recipes
Can I use a different protein?
Yes. You can use other protein in this dish such as chicken, shrimp or pork. Just remember to cut your protein into small uniform pieces and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Is this dish spicy?
No, this is not spicy. The spices used to season this rice and very mild. The only real spice would come from the type of smoked sausage you use. If you are sure to pick a mildly flavored sausage this is definitely a kid friendly dish.
How do you keep Cauliflower Rice from being soggy?
The most common mistake people make with cauliflower rice is to remove it from the heat before it has been properly cooked. The rice is done when no steam emits from the skillet. You want to cook all of the moisture out of the rice so it is not soggy.
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon EACH paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces frozen cauliflower rice
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and frozen cauliflower rice. Stir well so the spices are evenly distributed.
- Reduce the heat to medium low heat and cook the rice stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes until there is no steam emitting from the dish. (this means all the moisture has evaporated, otherwise the dish will be soggy)
- Add the sausage back to the skillet and warm through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the skillet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 26gSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 10.9gNet Carbohydrates: 7.9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4.5gProtein: 14.5g