Sautéed Chicken Gnocchi and Mushrooms is a hearty one pan meal that is ready in under 30 minutes!
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is a classic Italian dish that is typically made of a mixture of potatoes and flour. The texture of gnocchi is soft and pillowy. Typically gnocchi is placed in boiling water and is done when it floats to the top. When prepared this way it has the texture similar to a dumpling.
Gnocchi can also be prepared without boiling, which is the method using in this recipe. To prepare gnocchi in a skillet toss it in oil and season if desired and sauté in a skillet over medium heat. The outside of the gnocchi turns crisp and golden brown on the outside while being soft and fluffy on the inside.
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need to make this Chicken Gnocchi. For exact measurements and specific instructions, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card.
- Gnocchi – this recipe uses shelf stable gnocchi and doesn’t require boiling ahead of time. You can use regular gnocchi or gluten free potato gnocchi in this recipe.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast – this would work with tenders or boneless thighs as well.
- Portobello mushrooms – another variety of mushrooms, or a mixture of varying varieties will also work.
- Olive oil and seasonings – Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- White wine, butter, and minced garlic – Chicken or vegetable broth can be used in place of wine if you prefer.
- Cheese – a good quality Parmesan, Romano or Asiago is recommended.
How to Chicken with Gnocchi
This is a simple recipe cooked entirely in one pan, but it does require a few different batches. To make this simple skillet recipe follow these steps:
- First toss the uncooked (not frozen) gnocchi in olive oil (and seasonings if desired) and sauté in a skillet over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally. When the gnocchi is soft and has browned on all sides remove it from the skillet and set aside with the gnocchi.
- Using the same skillet sear the seasoned chicken in olive oil, cooking just until golden on all sides.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside while you deglaze the pan with wine (or broth), scraping to get all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender and wine has evaporated.
- Add the butter and garlic to the pan, then sauté until fragrant. Add the gnocchi and chicken, tossing to coat every piece with the garlic butter sauce. Top with cheese and serve immediately.
Tips for the Best Chicken Gnocchi
- Sauté the gnocchi until it has a nice crisp exterior. You want the two different textures to shine, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Cut the chicken into small bite size pieces so it cooks quickly and evenly.
- Use sliced mushrooms instead of whole for this recipe.
- Use a good quality cheese for the best flavor.
How to Store and Reheat
This recipe will be good up to 3 days stored in the fridge in an air tight container. However, this dish is best served fresh. The texture of the gnocchi and mushrooms do change after cooling.
To reheat this dish reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until heated through, or add to a skillet over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until heated.
- Creamy Pesto Chicken
- White Bean Chicken Chili
- Keto Jalapeno Chicken
- Green Chili Chicken Skillet
- The Best Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) gnocchi, shelf stable not frozen
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 16 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Toss the uncooked (not frozen) gnocchi in 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally. When the gnocchi is soft and has browned on all sides remove it from the skillet and set aside.
- Using the same skillet toss the chicken in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken 5-6 minutes, turning occassionally until golden brown on each side and cooked through.Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with wine (or broth), scraping to get all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender and wine has evaporated. Add the butter and garlic to the pan, then sauté until fragrant.
- Add the gnocchi and chicken, tossing to coat every piece with the garlic butter sauce. Top with cheese and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 16gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 480mgCarbohydrates: 20.2gNet Carbohydrates: 18.3gFiber: 1.9gSugar: 2.5gProtein: 29g