These Crispy Homemade Hash Browns require just 4 ingredients. You won’t believe how easy it is to get perfect restaurant quality hash browns at home!
I love a good weekend breakfast. You know what I mean, eggs, bacon, sausage, ultra crispy hash browns and a giant glass of orange juice. There is something so comforting about a delicious breakfast on a Saturday morning. It eases you right into the relaxing weekend swing of things.
If you’ve ever ordered a traditional breakfast at a restaurant or diner, odds are it included crispy hash browns. They are perfectly browned and crisp on the outside, while still having that perfect tender potato texture. There is just nothing like it! Now, with a few easy steps you can make these hash browns at home anytime you want! For more breakfast meal prep ideas, check out this list of The Best Overnight Breakfast Recipes!
Ingredients in Homemade Hash Browns
These these ultra crispy homemade hash browns have the shortest ingredients list! Here’s all you’ll need to make crispy hash brown at home:
- Potatoes: I find medium size red potatoes have the best taste and texture but you can also use Idaho or Russet if you prefer.
- Oil (use any neutral oil)
How to Make Homemade Hash Brown Patties
Not sure how to make homemade hash browns? Don’t fret, it’s easy! Here’s an overview of the process:
- Shred your potatoes and squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Rinse the shredded potatoes until the water runs clear. Place the potatoes in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Heat your skillet to medium heat, pour in a little oil and then place your shredded potatoes evenly in the skillet.
- Here is the super important part. Don’t touch them! I am so impatient I just have to walk away. If you stir them around, the shredded hash browns will just absorb the oil without getting golden and crisp.
- After 5-7 minutes, take a peak. See how they are nice and brown? Time to flip!
- Sprinkle the hasbrowns with salt and pepper.
- When both sides are crisp, slide it onto a plate.
Tips and Tricks for Crispy Hash Browns
Squeeze the water from the potatoes: This is really important, because if the potatoes are full of moisture they will never get nice and crispy.
Rinse the shredded potatoes: By rinsing the potatoes we are removing any extra starch that can prevent the potatoes from becoming perfectly crisp. If you have ever had hash browns that had a slightly gummy texture, this is because of the starch, rinsing the potatoes ensures they are perfect every single time!
To flip the hash browns: If you have a big spatula and can flip the hash brown all at once, go for it! But I normally grab a plate and place it on top of the skillet and VERY CAREFULLY (using potholders) I flip the hash browns onto the plate. Then, I add a little more oil to the skillet and scoot the uncooked side off onto the skillet.
To season the hash browns: I kept things simple and used just salt and pepper to season my homemade hash browns, but you’re welcome to doctor up this recipe as you see fit. You can use a cajun seasoning or your favorite all purpose blend.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes:
- Spinach and Bacon Egg Muffins
- Sausage Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- Easy Baked Eggs
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites
- Lemon Cheesecake Parfait
- 4 red potatoes, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shred the potatoes and place in a strainer.
- Rinse the potatoes until the water runs clear.
- Place the potatoes in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. You want the potatoes to be as dry as possible.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat add 1-2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the shredded potatoes to the skillet, use your spatula to flatten the potatoes a bit so they are in a patty form.
- Cook the potatoes without disturbing for 5-6 minutes or until they are golden and crisp.
- Carefully flip the hash browns. Add the additional one tablespoon of oil if you think you need it.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Let cook approximately 5 more minutes until each side is golden.
I use medium size red potatoes. You can use another variety if you prefer. You can use the potato with or without the peel, it is completely your personal preference.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 small hash brown patties
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.