Learn how to make Creamy Mushroom Sauce that goes great with chicken, pork, pasta, and more! This easy pan sauce is naturally low carb and gluten free!
I think the power of a good pan sauce is nothing to under estimate! You can turn any meal into something delicious and exciting with a rich, creamy sauce! This perfect mushroom sauce is the ultimate comfort food. It is perfect over grilled or roasted chicken, pork, steak, or even a simple pasta!
This is a truly versatile recipe and can be adjusted to fit your personal preferences. While I use a white wine, you can use something like marsala wine to change up the flavors. The possibilities are endless!
What ingredients do you need for Mushroom Sauce?
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need to make the perfect pan sauce! The exact recipe and instructions can be found below, just keep scrolling.
- Butter: salted butter
- Garlic and Scallions: add rich, deep flavor to the dish.
- Sliced Mushrooms: your favorite variety will work, but I love Portobello.
- Chicken Broth: beef or vegetable broth will also work, think about how you want to pair the sauce.
- White Wine: another wine such as marsala will also work.
- Heavy Cream: adds that amazing creamy, rich texture!
How do you make Creamy Mushroom Sauce?
- To make the sauce, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and sauté the garlic, scallion, and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add the broth and white wine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to reduce by half.
- When the wine sauce has reduced, stir in the heavy cream and simmer over low heat. You can remove the sauce from the heat or continue to let it simmer if you’d prefer it to be a bit thicker.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Don’t rush. Sauté the garlic and scallions for at least 30 seconds until fragrant. Don’t skip right to the next step. This will ensure the best flavor!
- Don’t add any extra ingredients to thicken the sauce such as corn starch. This creamy mushroom sauce can be thickened by simmering. Just watch the sauce closely and stir occasionally until it reaches your desired thickness.
- While this is a perfect all purpose mushroom sauce you can play with additional herbs if you wish. Consider garnishing the sauce with 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme if you desire.
- If you’re pairing this with pork chops, a steak, or chicken, feel free to add more flavor by simmering the meat in the sauce! After you pour in the cream and bring it back to a simmer, add your seared meat to the skillet, cover, and simmer until the meat reaches the correct internal temperature (for my pork chops, it took 20 minutes).
Do I have to use the wine?
For the absolute best flavor, you need to use the wine. It creates a depth of flavors that just cannot be beat. However, if you cannot have alcohol, you can use additional broth in place of alcohol.
How long can I store Mushroom Cream Sauce?
You can store this cream sauce in an air tight container up to 5 days in advance. If you are meal prepping, you can make this sauce, store it and reheat over any protein you wish.
How do I serve Mushroom Cream Sauce?
You can toss this sauce with freshly cooked pasta. Just cook the pasta al dente, toss with the cream sauce and garnish with parmesan! It will be an incredibly easy and satisfying meal!
If you’re trying to stay low carb, the same could work with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles! This also pairs well with:
- Pork tenderloin, pork roast or pork chops.
- Grilled or roasted chicken.
- Grilled or pan seared steak.
- Seafood such as salmon or shrimp.
Other Mushroom Recipes
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushroom Swiss Chicken
- Jalapeño Popper Mushrooms
- Mushroom Swiss Omelette
- Prosciutto and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Healthy Mushroom Breakfast Tacos
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- To make the sauce add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and sauté the garlic, shallot and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth and white wine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to reduce by half.
- When the wine sauce has reduced stir in the heavy cream and simmer over low heat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: about 1/2 cup but it depends on how much you reduce the sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 42Total Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 7.6mgSodium: 3.8mgCarbohydrates: 2.7gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 1.9g