These Baked Lemon Pepper Wings are super crispy and bursting with flavor. This keto chicken recipe is perfect for game day and under 1 net carb per pound.
These Baked Lemon Pepper Wings have a bold, bright flavor the entire family will love! Tender meat is kept on the bone with crispy, crunchy skin that has been broiled to perfection in this easy keto chicken recipe. These are healthier than fried wings but still give you that great crunch you always want in a good wing recipe!
You can easily make these ahead of time for meal prepping, and it works as a great “helping hands” meal! New parents or families who are struggling often get casseroles (and everyone loves a casserole!), but these wings provide a fun change that kids will love. Consider giving these wings with a few great dipping sauces and some veggies to make someone’s night!
Ingredients for Lemon Pepper Wings
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card at the bottom.
- Chicken Wings – This recipe uses bone-in, skin-on party wings, or wings that have been cut into drumettes and flats.
- Lemon Zest – Fresh lemon zest gives you the best and strongest flavor, so I do not recommend using dried zest.
- Cracked Pepper – This should be fresh, coarsely ground pepper. This gives that bold pepper flavor and adds to the great crunchy texture.
- Butter – Salted butter, melted. This helps add a juicy punch right before serving, making sure that lemon pepper flavor is covering every single inch.
- Spray oil – This is just to lightly wet the wings to ensure the seasonings will stick to the chicken.
How to Bake Crispy Wings
This recipe is very simple – Here’s a step-by-step guide for making these super crispy wings right in the oven.
Prep oven, pan, and wings
This recipe is for separated wings, where the full chicken wing is cut into two pieces: Drumettes and flats. Pat wings until they are as dry as possible.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil (for easy clean up), then top with a wire baking rack.
In a small bowl, mix together your fresh lemon zest and cracked pepper. Pour this over the wings and toss to coat. Place wings in a single layer (not touching) on the wire rack.
Cook, Flip, and Continue Cooking
Cook the wings 25 minutes, then remove from oven and flip each piece over. Return the pan to the oven and continue cooking 25-30 minutes. When all pieces are cooked through, remove from oven.
If you’d like your wings to be crispier and have a nice golden color, just turn the broil function on high and allow the wings to crisp up for 30-90 seconds. This isn’t absolutely necessary, but it gives the wings a great crisp bite.
When wings are cooked, place in a bowl and drizzle with melted butter. Toss to coat, then serve immediately.
For an easy game day meal, serve wings with vegetables, chips, and dips! Chips can be made from zucchini, potatoes, collards, pepperonis, or low-carb tortillas. Use great dips like Crab and Bacon Dip, Beer Cheese Dip, Jalapeno Ranch Dip, Smoked Queso, or Whipped Feta Dip.
Wings should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.
After bringing the wings to room temperature, transfer them to a freezer bag and freeze up to 6 months. To avoid freezer burn, reduce the air in the bag as much as possible and consider placing in a second bag to protect the chicken.
Wings may be reheated in the air fryer, oven, or microwave. Air frying is the quickest way to get crispy wings (350 degrees F for 3-5 minutes), but the oven can also keep them pretty crispy (400 degrees F for 5 minutes). Wings will not be crispy after microwaving, but you can still zap them in 30 second increments if speed is the most important factor.
If you like these Baked Lemon Pepper Wings, you’ll love these recipes:
- One Pan Lemon Parmesan Chicken – Perfect for a busy weeknight meal and just 2 net carbs per serving. Great bright flavor in a super easy recipe!
- White Bean Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette – Great for meal prepping, and some leftover chicken could easily be added for even more protein!
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings – These wings get super crispy in the air fryer for a quicker dinner on the table. This method would work great with this lemon pepper recipe, too.
- Lemon Garlic Fish & Toasted Pine Nuts – A bright lemon flavor complements this delicate fish. This is a great recipe for a busy night, and it has SO much flavor!
- Keto Lemon Drop – This low-carb drink brings that bright lemon flavor to any meal. Under 2 carbs for this tasty keto cocktail.
- The BEST Keto Game Day Food
- 2 pounds wings
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Olive oil or spray oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Trim and pat dry wings. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil, then top with a wire baking rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon zest and cracked pepper.
- Spray wings with oil, then toss in lemon pepper seasoning. Place chicken on prepared baking pan with rack.
- Bake 25 minutes, then flip and continue baking another 25-30 minutes or until wings are cooked through.
- OPTIONAL: If you prefer a crispier wing, turn on broiler and allow it to crisp up the skin for 30-90 seconds.
- Place cooked wings in a bowl, drizzle with butter, toss, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 pound
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 872Total Fat: 63gCholesterol: 474.5mgSodium: 338.2mgCarbohydrates: 1.7gNet Carbohydrates: 0.8gFiber: 0.9gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 70.4g